Friday, November 8, 2013

Yesterday morning went for a swim. It's so dark outside that you don't wanna jump in the water but thank god the pool is heated.we did about a 4000 yards of swimming before we use the racks. Felt pretty good but afterwards when I got out I could feel my muscles were really tender from Tuesday lift. Then went to my usual routine which is work, it was alright. Work is work really but I was tired and ready to be done. Later in the afternoon I hit the gym with my training buddies. Worked on Olympic lifts then a tabata metcon workout. It was a good workout, different than what we did in the past. But I couldn't go all out because my hands were really tender from two days ago.

Well this morning I'm just getting ready to go for a swim before I fly out to DC for a Deaflympic committee meeting. It's gonna be a long day! 

3 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Justin Marler. I am a hearing impaired swimmer like you and am currently a freshman member of the men's swim team at Truman State University. I have high hopes of qualifying for Division II nationals in March of next year and further on to Olympic Trials. Being hearing impaired has never been an obstacle for me as I've learned to work with it and make it a part of me. No use fighting something you can't change. But in the water I notice my slight disadvantage. My starts and reaction times are always somewhat slower than other swimmers. And every little second will count if I want to achieve my goals. I remember watching the 2012 Olympic trials and seeing that you were able to use a strobe light beside your lane. I read your story about lobbying for the use of hand signals at trials and the use of the light. I was curious to how you got the light and where you got it. I think that maybe I could use it to help me with my starts. My coach and I are doing research behind it but I thought maybe I could try to contact you. You've been a huge inspiration and have shown me that being hearing impaired isn't something to be fazed by. I hope to hear back from you and I'd like to wish you luck at the international championships in January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justin, That's really awesome and I hope you do well for Division II Nationals in March! Yeah I agree that you are in slight disadvantage when you're not relying on the strobe light but the sound. Before I attend to the swim meet I usually ask the officals or the people who are hosting the meet in advance to make sure they already have a strobe light. If worse case happens, I would try contacting USA Swimming and hope they can work with you and making sure to get your needs. I wish hand signal and strobe light become universal and not having to worry constantly before and during your race! Thank you and wish you luck with your training!

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much for the feedback! I am hoping to hear more from USA swimming about this and possibly receiving the assistance that could benefit me in time for more more competitive meets later in the year.

    ReplyDelete